The student newspaper of Long Beach Polytechnic High School since 1916

High Life

Filed under Sports, Uncategorized

Long Beach High School Hockey

Long Beach Prep High School Hockey is a team made up of high school students who play  hockey. There is a JV and varsity team. In spring they play under the LA Kings and in the summer they play under the Anaheim Ducks.

Hockey is starting to be a popular sport in Long Beach. Long Beach Prep gives high school students who play hockey  a chance to play other cities and represent Long Beach. Some of the other cities they play include El Segundo, Venice, Redondo Beach and Wiseburn.

The coaches are Adam Stanovich, Austin Stanovich , and Matthew Dove. They teach hockey players new skills and help them become better players overall. The coaches have a passion for the sport and prepare players to play at a higher level. When asked what his thoughts were on the coaches, forward Josh Ribeiro said, “They know what they’re talking about.” The coaches are very experienced. When asked how do you feel about playing on Long Beach Prep defender Adin Keiter said, “I’ve been on the team for two years now (four seasons), and I feel that I’ve been able to develop my skill on a team that’s suitable for my skill level. When I started, I was only playing hockey for a couple months, so LB has been about 80% of my career.”

Keiter also has a passion for the sport like many of the players on the team. Former JV goalie Steven Fitzer  said he “likes the fun environment and the competitiveness” of playing on Long Beach Prep. Fitzer also said, “I love the pressure and the non stop action” of being goalie. Many players say Long Beach Prep Hockey is like a family.

The Hockey players are not only athletes, but scholars and many of them want to achieve a higher education and play in college. When asked how does it feel to be a part of Long Prep, forward Natalie Compton said,  “I feel like I am a part of a family and I get to hang out with people from other schools so it’s cool. It’s more of a normal high school experience than my school is so I think I need the experiences that come with being on the team.”

Long Beach Prep is like one big family and a great part of the Long Beach community. It is also a great team to just watch. Long Beach Prep always appreciates if anyone comes out and supports the team in their upcoming summer season. So come out and support Long Beach high school hockey.