The student newspaper of Long Beach Polytechnic High School since 1916

High Life

Filed under News, Showcase

Hit the Books at the Michelle Obama Public Library

The Michelle Obama Library celebrated its one-year anniversary on September 10th, 2017. The library is about 5.2 miles away down Atlantic Street from Poly.

Ana Villalpando has been an assistant librarian at the Michelle Obama Library for over a year. She makes sure that “patrons have a satisfying experience” by tending to their library needs. Villalpando has her BA in philosophy and is currently enrolled at CSULB for her MA in social and cultural of education. Villalpando would like to inform the Poly community of the library’s vast resources.

“The library has Mac computers equipped with Photoshop, Adobe, and Final Cut Pro (video editing software) programs. All computers have Excel and Microsoft Word,” Villalpando said. “Some computers have database software for any student looking to strengthen their SAT, ACT, or any standardized test skills. iPads are also available upon request for students.”

The library provides many opportunities to win special prizes. The community can enter for the chance to win two movie tickets if they sign up for a library card. For the chance to win $100 dollars in movie tickets, dress up in a Teen Titan costume, upload the photo to Instagram and tag the Long Beach Public Library. These offers end in September.

Villalpando explained the various study rooms in the library available for students.

“There are two designated study and quiet rooms available to students upon reservation. These rooms are enclosed and have tables and chairs,” Villalpando said. “The study rooms have a TV available that can connect to the student’s device. Quiet rooms also contain white boards.”

The rooms are the perfect place for a group project or study group to meet. Villalpando also explained that there are several comfortable “booth” like tables with outlets for students to use.

Villalpando is very enthusiastic about the library’s homework help program for students.

“Students who would like assistance with their homework can utilize the library’s Family Learning Program,” Villalpando said. “The program hours are the same as the library’s hours.”

The library offers many events throughout the year. The library also hosts college talks for high school students every Wednesday in September starting at 4:30 PM. Kim Turrisi, initial producer of web series Pretty Little Liars and author of Just a Normal Day is holding a book talk on October 4th. Editor and publisher for Wannabe Press Russell Nohelty will be hosting a graphic novel workshop on October 11th at 4 PM.

The library owns three 3D printers. Library cardholders are allowed one free print of their choice a month. If interested in learning how to use a 3D printer, ask a librarian.