The student newspaper of Long Beach Polytechnic High School since 1916

High Life

Filed under Sports

Fourth Quater Heartbreak

Poly+football+team%2C+marching+down+the+field+
Poly football team, marching down the field

gazzette sports

gazzette sports

Long​ ​Beach​ ​Poly​ ​football​ ​played ​Mission​ ​Viejo​​ ​on​ ​Friday,​ ​September​ ​15, ​at​ ​Veterans​ ​Stadium. The Poly football team was adorned in their all black uniforms and the Poly fans supported them by wearing black as well.

The​ ​Jackrabbits​ ​lost​ ​12-7.​ ​Poly​ ​now​ ​has​ ​a​ ​2-1-0​ ​overall​ ​record this season and ​Mission Viejo​ ​now​ ​has​ ​a​ ​4-0-0​ ​overall​ ​record. When​ ​asked​ ​his​ ​thoughts​ ​on​ ​the​ ​game​, senior ​Raymond Graham said,​ ​“We had the game in our hands and we let them take the momentum of the game.”

During the first quarter, Poly defense held it down and blocked any advances towards the end zone.​ In the second quarter the Jackrabbits were not as successful and Mission Viejo scored the first touchdown of the game. Poly came back refreshed after halftime and Graham scored a touchdown for the Jackrabbits, making the score 7-6. In the midst of the fourth quarter Mission Viejo grabbed control of the game via a pick 6 and didn’t let go, despite Poly’s valiant efforts.

This​ ​was​ ​Poly’s​ third​game​ ​this​ ​season.​ ​They​ ​had​ ​a​ ​game​ ​on​ ​August​ ​25​ ​against​ ​Los​ ​Alamitos. Poly​ ​won​ ​the​ ​game​ ​28-10.​ The ​Jackrabbits​ ​also​ ​had​ ​a​ ​game​ ​September​ ​1​ ​versus​ ​Narbonne.​ ​The game​ ​took​ ​Place​ ​At​ ​El​ ​Camino​ ​college.​ ​Poly​ ​won​ ​again​ ​(14-10).

The​ ​game​ ​was​ ​for also a part of the​ ​Touchdowns​ ​Against​ ​Cancer.​ ​Touchdowns​ ​against​ ​cancer​ ​is​ ​a​ ​way​ ​to​ ​raise money​ ​to​ ​help​ ​fight​ ​childhood​ ​cancer.​ ​High​ ​school​ ​football​ ​team’s​ ​across​ ​America​ ​participate​ ​in this​, all​​ ​September.​ ​$16​ ​is​ ​pledged​ ​per​ ​touchdown, and all​ ​the​ ​money​ ​raised​ ​goes​ ​towards​ ​St. Jude​ ​Children’s​ ​Research​ ​Hospital.​ ​So​ ​far​ ​530​ ​touchdowns​ ​have​ ​been​ ​scored and​ ​$74,488 has been​ ​raised.​ ​Touchdowns​ ​against​ ​cancer​ ​was​ ​created​ ​by​ ​MaxPreps, Pledge​ ​It​ ​and​ ​St.​ ​Jude​ ​Children’s​ ​Research​ ​Hospital. ​ Long​ ​Beach​ ​Poly​ ​also​ ​has​ ​two​ ​upcoming​ ​games​ ​this​ ​month against Millikan and Wilson. Poly will be playing Millikan at Millikan on September 22 and is expected to be a good game due to their similar season statistics of two wins and one loss. Poly will play Wilson September 29 at Veterans Stadium.

The​ ​first​ ​upcoming​ ​game​ ​is​ ​against​ ​Millikan,​ ​and​ ​it’s​ ​Poly’s​ ​first​ ​conference​ ​game​ ​this​ ​season. Poly​ ​is​ ​away​ ​and​ ​it​ ​is​ ​expected​ ​to​ ​be​ ​a​ ​good​ ​game​ ​based​ ​on​ ​both​ ​the​ ​teams​ ​similar​ ​season stats.​ ​When​ ​asked​ ​their​ ​thoughts​ ​on​ ​the​ ​upcoming​ ​game​, Junior​ ​Ulises​ ​Godoy​ ​said​ ​“Look good,​ ​feel​ ​good,​ ​play​ ​good.”​ The​ ​second upcoming​ ​game​ ​is​ ​against​ ​Wilson.​ ​Wilson’s​ ​record​ ​is​ ​1-3.​ Poly​ ​is​ ​expected​ ​to​ ​take​ ​1st​ ​place​ ​in Moore ​league​ ​again​ ​this​ ​season.