The student newspaper of Long Beach Polytechnic High School since 1916

High Life

Filed under Sports

Golf N’ Stuff

The Long Beach Poly girls golf team had two matches in the past week. The first match took place on Tuesday, September 26 which Poly lost with a score of 213 – 264. The second match was Thursday, September 28 against Lakewood and Poly won with a score of 256 – 269. Both matches took place at Recreation Park.

The girls prepared for their matches by practicing four days a week. During practice, they use the driving range to learn how to use all the clubs and when to use them. The girls also work on what is called their short game at the pitching green, and finally they go to the putting green to work on their putting. Besides that the girls have also had additional help this year.

According to co-captain and junior Ellie Andrews, “For practices we also have a professional golfer helping us during our practices. His name is Dave Heinan.” Heinan has been helping the team since the season has started which is about a month ago.

“Wilson has always been hard for us to beat because they are pretty much the best, but we have been getting better and Dave has really been a big help for becoming better and improving as a team,” Andrews stated.

When asked about her opinion on how the team could improve other co-captain of the team and sophomore Hannah Vanwagner stated, “It is hard for everyone to have a good day all on the same day, so I think that consistency would help us to improve.”

When asked about the disparity between their matches this week, Andrews said, “Wilson is the best in Moore league which makes them our toughest competition, but Lakewood we usually tend to beat every year.”