The student newspaper of Long Beach Polytechnic High School since 1916

High Life

Filed under Sports

Eric Wilson, #20

Eric Wilson, smiling for the camera

Eric Wilson, smiling for the camera

Eric Wilson

Eric Wilson

Eric Wilson, smiling for the camera

Senior year means the end of an era for most students, but for Poly’s linebacker, Eric Wilson, this year is only the beginning.

Wilson has been playing football for his entire high school career at Poly. He has met “incredible people from coaches and players to staff members” during his time at Poly. These people became his support system and his family. He said that the type of environment Poly has created for him is the reason it has kept him here the past four years.

Being at Poly has allowed Wilson to “take on more of a leadership role on the team and form bonds that no one will be able to take from [him].” He has also has been given the extra confidence boost towards extraordinary goals with the help of being on varsity football for the past three years.

Wilson said, “One of my long term goals is to play in the NFL.” But unlike his other teammates he also hopes to become “a professional saxophonist and win a Grammy award.”

After high school, he plans to continue his football career and plans to double major in business sports management and music.

The football star is notably popular among the Poly community. Wilson’s optimistic quality outshines the students around him. It is a characteristic that is necessary for playing on a team with such a great reputation.

At the start of this year’s football season, Wilson said he “expected us [Poly] to go undefeated.” Even with our loss to Mission Viejo, he said, “our team can win the CIF Southern section championship and state title.”

Wilson never loses sight of what he wants. When Wilson puts his mind to something, nothing will stand in his way.

Poly football has played an important factor in who Wilson is today. He said, “through our football program, I’ve learned how to be a better young man, son and brother.” A teammate on and off the field, Poly’s football team is more than lucky to have the number 20.