Clubs Sell Goods at Faire

Students at Poly High School were dismissed from class 90 minutes early on Wednesday for this year’s Homecoming Faire.

The faire was a great way for clubs to raise money as well as to boost morale in the students, who were all buzzing in anticipation and excitement for the school-wide event. Many clubs, such as Red Cross, color guard, Gender Sexuality Alliance, German, Chinese, and eSports showed up early to school to set up their booths and prepare for the upcoming event.

Once the bell rang at 1:10

Wednesday afternoon, students flooded into the quad, hurrying to get to the front of a line for a booth. A multitude of food, products, and games were offered: cookies, brownies (“sexually liberated brownies,” as the GSA club called them), ice cream, sodas, stickers, sausages, bean bag tosses, etc.

Some groups had also prepared a dance performance to various rap, hip-hop, and pop songs. There were also two different photo booths available for students to use.

“This is my 46th faire in a row; I’ve been selling cheesecake for years,” Mr. Brett Alexander, the administrator of the Speech and Debate club, said.

One club, Model United Nations, had a very unusual service offered. The members had brought in corsages, a white flower bouquet, plastic gold rings, a veil, and fake marriage certificates to

The event was huge, and many of the clubs were busy with all of the students wanting to participate. Business seemed to get even busier as time went on. The Red Cross club, which proved to serve a very popular booth, was struggling to keep up with

supply. Team Pink+ reported having waves of students on and off. “It gets…sometimes packed and sometimes not,” Alejandra Nieto said. “I think [the faire is] too short – it’s like 30 minutes away from usual,” said Monse Nieto.

Some clubs made signs to hold above the large crowd. Gabriel Elal stood next to the color guard booth and danced with a purple flag to advertise and draw in customers. “We’ve seen people have fun,” Yancy Roldan of the STATs club said. “They’re energetic…just having fun by playing the game.”

“It always beats my expectations as far as, you know, how many people participating and how many people are interested,” said Mr. Puth, Poly’s activities director. “As an adult, you get to see…how creative the clubs are and how creative the students are. But you think you’ve seen it all, you think you’ve heard it all, and then all of a sudden, here they come, and they do something like a green tea boba…I’m excited because I see how the students have come together and put this together.”

Poly’s commissioner of organization, Senior, Zoey DeYoung, played a huge role in the functionality and organization of the event, Puth says. “I don’t even want to make light of what I’m saying here…she’s spending like hours everyday for the past couple of weeks making sure that, you know, everybody’s needs are met, and then addressing issues that may arise. I’m just guiding her through the whole process.”