Library Renamed after former Principal

Advertisement

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






Poly’s library has been named after Bob Ellis-July 26, 1924-February 6, 201-, a former student and principal, at a ceremony honoring him. The ceremony was held on September, 11 headed by Mr. Brett Alexander, a teacher here at Poly. Ellis graduated in 1941, a letterman of the debate team. After high school he attended Long Beach City College, Cal State Long Beach, and the University of Missouri. He also served in the navy in WWII and the Korean War. After his service he came back to Poly and became a teacher, counselor, and head counselor, until he became the principal from 1978-1980 to 1985-1986.

As principal, he founded the Center for International Curriculum(CIC) program, was responsible for moving graduation from the crowded Terrace Theater to Veterans Stadium, built the rally stage, renamed 17th St to Jackrabbit Ln, and during his time here had a three year period where not a single teacher asking for a transfer to another school. At his time at LBCC he helped establish a program in which seniors could take classes at the college.

He was also a principal at Jordan and Wilson High School, Hughes Middles School, and three elementary schools in the district.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email