High Life

Filed under Sports

XC Impresses at Mt. SAC

On October 20, both boys and girls cross country teams competed in the famous Mt. SAC Cross Country Invitational.

The annual meet at Mt. San Antonio College in Walnut, CA features many of the best teams from California and around the country. The course is three miles with several loops around a central area, accompanied by several steep inclines and sharp down hills testing the runners hill skills.

Because of the quality of the competition, the race is one of the few races looked at by college cross country scouts to really see how good a runner is.

Starting off with the boys varsity, Poly placed third overall in their division with their number one runner, senior Will Frankenfeld, also placing 3rd in a finish time of 14:47.

Girls varsity also performed well with an 8th place finish altogether with their premiere runner, Laura Yontz, placing 21st and finishing with a phenomenal 20:48.

Boys and girls junior varsity also raced above the standard placing 3rd overall with runners, Coco Sanabria with an astounding  21:21 and Ethan Dwinell running 16:12. Moving along, boys sophomores placed 10th with the lead runner Pablo Lopez-Garcia running 18:54. Girls sophomores played conservative as Moore League Finals is just around the corner, running only two athletes, Vanessa Garcia running a 25:15 and Chloe Bricker with a 25:43.

The freshmen boys placed 9th in their heat with Joshua Zuniga leading the pack in 18:04. Freshmen girls came in 6th with Bella Ungar racing a 22:40.

Both boys and girls will compete next at Moore League Finals, the threshold for Poly’s cross country team to qualify for the state competition.

Concerning this meet, Danny Nguyen a sophomore cross country athlete said, “Moore League finals is the time where everything is on the line. Where you’ll see the most personal records and improvements stemming from all the hard work we’ve done.”

New runner Kellan Lim added, “After Moore League 2 with all the hills, I’m just about ready to run on flat ground with the subtle incline and declines Heartwell holds. I have great confidence that we can take over the stage and win this final Moore League race.”

The Moore League Cross Country Finals takes place at Heartwell Park on October 31, with junior varsity starting at 2:30, frosh/soph at 3:30PM, and varsity at 4:30.