High Life

Filed under Opinion

Wrap It Up!

I remember the last time I took sex education, it was in my seventh grade health class. I was surprised to find out in highschool that sex ed was not a required class. Sure, health is taught but not necessarily enforced. I was supposed to take a semester of health in biology freshman year, but it seems like my class barely skimmed over it.

Recently, I was curious about the STD rates in America and I was shocked to find out how high the numbers were. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention estimates that there are more than 110 million STIs and various STDs among men and women in the US. Alaska, Mississippi, and Louisiana are the top three states in the nation harboring STD ridden fools. Chlamydia, Gonorrhea, and HIV are some of the most prominent sexually transmitted diseases in America. In California specifically, the STD rates have increased 7% from 2017 to 2018. A staggering 218,728 cases of chlamydia alone, has been reported in California in the year of 2018. Not surprising, high schools are diseased cesspools of horny teenagers! 46% of American high school students have had sexual intercourse and potentially are at risk for human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) infection and other STDs. Leading to,  1 in 4 teens contract a sexually transmitted disease every year.

Back to sex education classes, I’m not quite sure why they aren’t a requirement. I feel like it is a necessity for teenagers to be educated about safe sex and the consequences that may come with it, due to the high rates. Surely STDs won’t go away, but it can be highly diminished amongst high schoolers if they knew more about the risks of unprotected and unsafe practices of sex.