Missing the Class of 2019

If it hasn’t been said already, then I’ll be the first to say it: this school year is extremely different compared to last year. However, one thing that has especially impacted me has been the absence of alumni. It is uncertain how I got so close to them, but I know for a fact that it is definitely not the same without them.

During the previous school year, you would find me hanging out with a group full of seniors. Like I said, I don’t really know how I winded up there in the first place, but being around them sure gave me pleasure. Conversations with them made me feel welcomed, and being a part of them made me feel included.

Aside from that friend group, I also gained some friends from a college readiness program located at Long Beach City College called Upward Bound. I did not expect all my friends there to be ready so soon. Now that they’re in college and the majority of them no longer attend the program the same way, it feels different.

Not only that, but last school year the newspaper production class was full of seniors. It was a class full of leadership as well as love and passion. Without this love and passion they held, the school newspaper could not have been the same. The laughter and inside jokes shared among the class brought a whole new meaning to journalism for me.

Overall, these people left such a huge impact on me. Meeting them is possibly one of the greatest things that has ever happened to me. In all honesty, seniors should be appreciated more and not taken for granted while they’re around.

Although I no longer see them or hang out with them in the same way anymore, the experience was fun while it lasted. The connections are still there and the friendships still exist. I hope they’re all doing well and that they’re surrounded by people as amazing as they all are. In the end, people come and go in life, but it’s what they leave behind that matters.