A Shakespearean Experience at UCI

On December 10, CIC seniors went to UC Irvine for a campus tour and a demonstration of the Shakespeare production, Macbeth.
CIC AP English Literature and Composition teachers Gwendolyn Larsen and James Cooperider organized the event, encouraged all of their students to attend, and chaperoned at the university.
While there, the students were split into three groups to rotate between a tour of the campus, a presentation of different adaptations of the play, and a chance to see and handle old copies of Shakespearean scripts at the school’s library archive. Among these rare books in the archive was a copy of the First Folio, the first official written source for the scripts for Shakespeare’s plays averaging about $3-7 million US dollars in value.
“The First Folio was probably the coolest thing I saw that day,” said Amber Payan. “I have a big appreciation for theater, so it [made] me feel more immersed in the world; it really makes me feel like this is my spot. It’s where I want to be.”
After lunch, the students gathered again in the presentation room to sit in on an acting theory lecture from one of the college professors, as well as witness a sample of an acted scene from two of UCI’s acting majors. One Poly student, Isaac Absalom stepped up at the end and got to act as Macbeth with one of the college students. “It was fun! I like doing fun stuff,” he said. “I feel like that’s my character – extroverted.”
Absalom was happy he was able to see the campus and get a glimpse of what college life may be like for him in the near future: “I think to pay attention to more things than just the teaching and the campus – like seeing who goes there and what the vibe is like – that and a lot of things go into choosing a college.”