MEDS Students Earn OSHA Certificate

Students in Jackie Lazatin’s medical clerical occupation class were taking an online training course to get their OSHA certification. It is a ten hour program that will train students on the recognition, avoidance, abatement, and prevention of safety and health hazards. Students started this course on November eighth and finished December third. After students completed the ten hour course they received a certificate and a card from the OSHA Training Institute. Students learned new things during the training that will be useful and helpful for their future.

Yaliani Meza, a senior in the MEDS pathway said “I feel that doing OSHA is a good way to learn how to work carefully and safely, it is also an easy and quick thing to do and learn.” Students are gaining skills during the training and are using them to get to their goals. Students taking this course are able to use the skills that they have learned on the daily to stay safe.

Greysi Flores, a senior in the MEDS, said “OSHA has helped me gain skills that I can use for the future. It has given me an insight of what my rights are in a work environment and how I can avoid injuries.” Students have learned what to do if they are in certain scenarios and how to prevent bad outcomes that will benefit them and others. OSHA helps students create a safe environment that will be able to keep them and people around them safe.

Shoshika Shohani is a senior in the MEDS pathway, she said “I learned that OSHA is there to help protect all workers from harm. If you complain to your boss and he or she doesn’t do anything about it, you can contact OSHA.” Doing the OSHA course has benefited students in many ways they have learned many new things that they can use.

OSHA stands for Occupational Safety and Health Administration. It is part of the Safety and Health Act of 1970. Congress created OSHA to ensure safe and healthful working conditions for workers. OSHA makes sure the working conditions for workers are safe and healthful by making and enforcing standards by providing training, outreach, education and assistance.