Hydroflasks… necessity or accessory?

The sight of these vibrant, seemingly “indestructible” water bottles isn’t unfamiliar among our student body. However, with all of the dents that eventually adorn their bodies, are Hydroflasks truly worth the investment? Demand for these bottles have exploded among youth — particularly “Generation Z” — due to 2019’s VSCO girls. Not only did these figures popularize Hydroflasks, but also scrunchies, Fjällräven backpacks, and Birkenstock sandals. And a common similarity between these products is their diverse color selection, which was seemingly endless.

With an average rating of 4.9/5 stars on Amazon (from 30,000+ reviews), consumers praise Hydroflask bottles for their non-rusting stainless steel and their insulative technology. “This water bottle is great. I’ve lost a few and replaced them every time,” writes buyer Lauren Hunt, who gave the product 5 stars. While the few negative reviews only advised against purchasing the bottles from Amazon, it is undeniable among the majority of the buyers — including Poly students — that they easily receive dents and scratches. Despite the countless list of alternate brands for consumers to consider (some being Contigo and ThermoFlask), the popularity of these bottles don’t seem to falter.

However, one of the top competitors to Hydroflask is Yeti. Upon searching “Hydroflasks vs Yeti’’, countless articles would appear with the simple click of a button. The two brands offer similar prices, yet the quantity of reviews between them differ by over 20,000. Unsurprisingly, Hydroflask had more reviews. But was it truly because of Hydroflask’s greater number of color selections? Or was it due to the recognizability of their logo? With the lack of a powder-coating exterior, Yeti bottles outperformed Hydroflasks in terms of durability, according to The World Pursuit. And yet, that “smiling jumping person” logo has become a staple among Poly students.

PACE freshman Soriya Pouv describes an underlying sense of “peer pressure” that she experienced due to the fact that “all [of her] friends had one.” However, despite initially wanting it for the brand, she argues they are worth their $25+ price point. “They are convenient for daily-use,” says Pouv, “and since my first purchase, I bought a second one.”

CIC senior Sebastion Lebario also purchased a Hydroflask bottle due to its popularity, though this time among his baseball teammates. An owner of three of them, he believes them to not just be hyped for the brand, but the trend of it. “People think it looks cool since you can customize it with stickers or different colors,” Lebario says.

For some students, these bottles were originally bought as a fashion statement, only to seemingly evolve into an item of daily-convenience.