Dance Premier

Poly’s Dance Program, organized by Cynthia Negrete, held a Dance Premiere on November 18 in the auditorium. Starting at 6:30 p.m. they opened the Andrew Osman Auditorium for everyone to enjoy a performance. Poly students, teachers, friends, and family came to cheer on the dancers. Dancers from every level got a chance to show what they have been learning this year.

Many students were filled with excitement for this performance. Dance team, dance tech, PE dance, and H2M (hip-hop to movement club) performed in the show. This was their first show of the 2021-2022 year so they worked really hard to make it spectacular.  Last year’s fall show was during virtual learning, but because students are back in person they were able to work together more and put their best effort into this show.

“I’m excited to see the turnout this year,” says Iyana Weeks. Weeks was in the show last year and this was her second time performing at Poly so she was thrilled to be in the Dance Premiere. Other dancers felt the same way and had fun being able to put on a show.

The Dance Premiere included several types of pieces such as jazz, tap, musical theater, modern, and hip-hop dances. The show opened up with dance team’s jazz performance to Spice Girls, which then was followed up by H2M’s hip-hop performance which was a mix of several songs together. After that was a musical theater piece which the dance team had performed in the All Together Now! show. The following dances were spectacular and showed off the dancers’ skills and enjoyment of dance. Additionally , there were a few dances contributed to Negrete’s mother.

The audience had a good response to the show. According to a dancer’s parent, the show was special since they got to see their child on stage. After the show, many people went up to the dancers with flowers and hugs. They had so much fun being able to see and root for people they know on stage. Everyone is looking forward with excitement for the next show in spring.

All of this could not have happened without the director (Cynthia Negrete), assistant directors (Lou Vazquez and Marissa Negrete), student directors (Emma Ochoa, Milana Tiv, Keke Chester, and Dionna Miller), and all of the stage crew. “Overall, I was pleased with the show,” said Negrete. Of course there were some things we can improve on for our next show because that’s what happens in every program since we want our students to keep growing, says Negrete. It was an astonishing experience for the students.